Saturday 19 December 2020

Saturday 19th December 2020: Reflection: David Watson

 

Advent is a time of looking forward to a brighter future—the anticipation of a new birth—of hope and light. In many Christian communities it triggers the concept of being “born again”. I suppose irrespective of our “style” of faith most of us feel “born again” at this Christmas time as we recall many memories from our past and watch, often teary eyed, the nativity plays and concerts, in my case, of my grandchildren. Maybe, remembering the more hectic working days when on time arrival at the children’s concerts was often touch and go! and also to distant memories of our own performances. For me, remarkably, they are still as clear as day and still a reflective highlight of my life at this time of year. It really saddens me that there will be no concerts this year and it has certainly created a big hole in my psychological preparation for Christmas.

Despite this being a year to forget for most people it has been special for me personally. Given my previous working life in the pharmaceutical and vaccines industry, I watched with increasing concern the development of the Covid pandemic in China back in January of this year. I followed it carefully from the outset and from mid February started to produce regular weekly briefings for my colleagues in Rotary and interested friends. As we went into the long lock-down in March, preparing these often quite long reports kept me occupied but also frustrated that I couldn’t do more. So, in late May, via a series of professional contacts, I joined the UK Vaccines Task Force. Fully vetted and security cleared!

Our initial role was to select from the many ongoing projects the ones which we felt were the most likely to succeed and meet the needs of the UK and, as importantly, the wider world. This took around 3 months to complete and then we worked with each of the chosen candidates to support them to achieve regulatory approval and launch. Two weeks ago we saw the launch of the Pfizer vaccine and we are also now very close to seeing the approval of the Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine, hopefully, before the end of the year. Others should follow early next year.

To repeat what we know, that this has been an incredibly difficult year for all of us but it does seem that we do now have a light at the end of the tunnel and we can see that science used in the right way can be an incredible force for good in the world.    

So, this year I thank God that I have personally been “born again” with regards to my professional life. Also, to feel the incredible satisfaction of being part of a global team who have been instrumental in bringing this to fruition in such a short time.

We hope and pray that through this work we can regain a sense of normality in our lives so that with God’s guidance we can follow the light of a vaccine to a brighter future and once again shed tears of joy at the many nativity plays and concerts still ahead of us in life.   

Happy Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Eve: Nativity Scene: Hazel Richardson

  Hazel writes: Here is a photo of our nativity scene. At first it had no shepherds, which bothered me, so I eventually bought one - althoug...